Thursday, March 29, 2012
One Hundred Good Wishes Quilt
A tradition exists in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei (a.k.a. 100 Good Wishes Quilt). When a baby is born, family & friends donate to the child's mother fabric with a written wish for the new baby. It is said that the luck, energy and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed the fabric surrounds the child when she is wrapped in the quilt. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation.
I am excited to be starting another OHGWQ quilt for Sarah. I had such a wonderful time doing Hannah's quilt, and actually have some squares left over from the swaps back during the wait for her that I am going to use to either make her a second quilt one day or put some in Sarah's quilt. I rejoined the Yahoo OHGWQ group and it is a small world because some of the same ladies I swapped with last time are back again too. The first theme I signed up for is "Tea Party".
I would love to have my friends and family send some squares for Sarah. If you want to do so, please let me know. I'll give you instructions on what to do. I hope to start sewing the squares togther soon.
This is Hannah's OHGWQ. We got a woman with a modern embroidery machine to do the patch with her name and red thread poem. I want to do this with Sarah's as well, probably using the same red thread quote. Then, we found another quilter, who has a machine the size her basement, who did the actual quilting pattern on the quilt. I hope to do this again too. The material on the back of Hannah's quilt, I found online, and I always LOVED it. I hope to find some other similar Asian fabric to use for the back of Sarah's quilt as well.
If you would like to send a square for Sarah's quilt, please let me know. It's super easy!
As far as updates on our process, we are waiting a huge packet of paperwork instructions for the home study/dossier to come in the mail. Once that gets here, the paperchase begins!
I am excited to be starting another OHGWQ quilt for Sarah. I had such a wonderful time doing Hannah's quilt, and actually have some squares left over from the swaps back during the wait for her that I am going to use to either make her a second quilt one day or put some in Sarah's quilt. I rejoined the Yahoo OHGWQ group and it is a small world because some of the same ladies I swapped with last time are back again too. The first theme I signed up for is "Tea Party".
I would love to have my friends and family send some squares for Sarah. If you want to do so, please let me know. I'll give you instructions on what to do. I hope to start sewing the squares togther soon.
This is Hannah's OHGWQ. We got a woman with a modern embroidery machine to do the patch with her name and red thread poem. I want to do this with Sarah's as well, probably using the same red thread quote. Then, we found another quilter, who has a machine the size her basement, who did the actual quilting pattern on the quilt. I hope to do this again too. The material on the back of Hannah's quilt, I found online, and I always LOVED it. I hope to find some other similar Asian fabric to use for the back of Sarah's quilt as well.
If you would like to send a square for Sarah's quilt, please let me know. It's super easy!
As far as updates on our process, we are waiting a huge packet of paperwork instructions for the home study/dossier to come in the mail. Once that gets here, the paperchase begins!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Hannah's quilt is so pretty. I love that you are doing one for Sarah too. Can I send you all my squares and pay you to put Sophia and Amelia's together ? LOL really not kidding LOL ... Ok I want to send a square send me your address and I will get something out to you ASAP.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Susan! I'll send you the snail mail address through FB or Yahoo.
Delete