Tuesday, October 23, 2012
So, this is post where I am just going to vent. You would think that the people that I encountered yesterday taking my daughter to the doctor would have had been raised better by the mother. I have had situations happen like this before, but never to this extent. Being an adoptive mom with a child that looks different from me, I tolerate some looks sometimes, but I have my limit as to how far the looks should go. I go up to the front desk to check Hannah in for her appointment. There is a lady in front of me, who has a friend or sister with her along with her daughter in the waiting room. Kevin is behind me in line holding Hannah. The mom in front of me not only turns around once to do the normal general glance at who is behind you in line look, but this woman must have never ever seen an Asian child in her life. She looks not only once, but is constantly turning her head, staring at my child. We are not talking quick stares here. This woman is constantly staring up and down with this cold look on her face at Hannah. Not only are we getting stares from her, but the rest of her little clan sitting in the row behind us. Standing there, I started fuming inside. Each time she'd look, I'd say to myself "okay, I am going to be the only adult here and ignore her". Watching from the corner of my eye, she continues to stare. Having had enough, I sharply and coldly look her in the eye and look her down from head to toe myself, thinking this would end it. No, she contiues to stare. I look behind me, Kevin has the look of a lion getting ready to go on attack in his eyes. Finally, after I looked at her three more times, she takes her seat. I go to the bathroom to prepare myself to go back in, and maybe face a confrontation, or just in general, ask her what her problem is. When I took my seat beside Kevin and Hannah in the row behind them, this woman's daughter(who is about 11-12) is turned around in her seat, staring at us, her mother not once telling her to turn around! The mother's friend keeps looking back as well. At this point, I'd had enough. My heart was racing about 100 times a minute, and I had had it to the point where I was going to say something to them. I looked over at Kevin and said loud enough..."you think someone has a staring problem?" I have not seen Kevin that angry in a while. Then, we were called back to the room. As I walked back, I deliberatley turned my head to look at the 3 stooges with a look in my eye that said "what the hell is your problem"? And, if I would have had more time, the plan I had composed in the bathroom on what to say to these people would have happened. I was honestly going to say, "Is there a problem, or "do you have questions about adoption because I'd love to fill you in". Obviously this was just complete ignorance and uneducation on this family's end. Didn't their mother ever teach them if there was someone different in the room, you look once and then look away, respect their privacy and space, and not make that person feel uncomfortable? Obviously this mom's mother missed the boat on that lesson, and sadly, she hasn't taught her own child basic manners and respect either. Maybe these people have never seen an Asian child with Caucasian parents before, maybe, for some reason, they were prejudice against Asian people in general, but whatever the reason, don't let your uneducated eyes and bystander opinon make my daughter feel uncomfortable. Have some respect even if you don't know the details. If you are that inquisitive about my daughter, at least ask, but if you don't have the guts to do that, move on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




wow, I am so sorry you all had to deal with such rude people. I had a hard day yesterday too, not adoption related at all but crazy people related. We need to get together sometime for coffee, or wine!
ReplyDelete